Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Rotier's - Higgins View

"Comfort is the only thing our civilization can give us." Oscar Wilde

Every time I walk into Rotier's I wonder why I don't go there more often. The wood panelling and 'stuff' cluttering the walls reminds me of those diners and cafes my grandparents took me as a kid. It's a comfort food palace. The crowd is a very familiar one, even if you only show up now and then... same for the wait staff.

The Digs: A little dark in the place, at least that is how it FEELS. You really aren't a stranger when you come in. Mary and I get there early, the place is already filling up. Jay Phelps (former Lightning Traffic Anchor) joined us on this outing and HE ordered a meat and three... he went for the comfort food, not the burger-joy.

At First Sight: I got the burger on the french bread. I can honetly say I never had this burger before. It was poppy seedy, and didn't look like french bread much. The burger itself was already dripping - juicy in the plate. The condiments were on the burger and correct. They let you get a 1/2-1/2 order of fries and onion rings here, homey and economical.

At First Bite: French bread a little hard, burger a little soft. A very juicy squish. The meat tasted like hamburger but that is about as far as I can go. Not really flavorful and maybe a little flat. It WAS medium rare and very juicy, maybe one could call it greasy. I actually used the french bread to soak up the juice but I must say it didn't add to the flavor much at all.

The Finish: Lots of 'juice' without much flavor. I have said that the white bread buns make the burger, maybe I should go back to Rotiers and try it with a regular ol' bun? After all of the hype about that french bread roll burger, I am not ecstatic. And if I have the grease, I want the flavor. I won't try to interpret the 'How's and Why's' of it... It was a diner burger and that is about all I can say for it. I was really 'rooting ' for Rotier's as I have had the cheeseburger over the years. However, today's visit was a disappointment.

Score: 6.0

No comments:

Post a Comment