Thursday, May 27, 2010

McCabe Pub - Higgins

"I rose politely in the club / And said, "I feel a little bored; / Will somone take me to a pub?"
G.K. Chesterton 'A Ballade Of An Anti-puritan'

McCabe Pub on Murphy Road in Nashville… this is another one of those places you would have gone when you were little and your parents had friends to entertain. OK that’s MY family. It’s a PUB, but it is a meeting spot. That Dark paneled look just takes me back.

The Digs: The lunch crowd was hopping by 11:30. It looks like a mix of duffers from the course practically across the street, neighborhood folk and business people who are looking for the specials. A bit of an older crowd but everyone was friendly.

At First Sight: It was another fix-it-yourself burger and I had Dijon mustard at the table (ooOOoo!) I had cheddar on the burger and it was nice and melty, a good sign they put the cheese on the burger while it’s still on the grill (I like that.) It comes with chips (fries or another side are extra) and I am fine with that, it’s all about the burger anyway.

At First Bite: It was a bit on the rare side of medium rare. In fact, I bet if I had ordered a Medium burger it would have been a perfect medium rare. The menu says the burgers are served well-done unless the customer specifies otherwise, I bet they don’t get too many medium-rare requests. The taste has a good burger burst. I usually do not like red onions but these were sliced thinly and it seemed to work.

The Finish: It was too rare. But I liked the flavor… great melty cheddar. I want to try this one again medium rare this time, not moo-ing.

Score: 6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment